Pop quiz! What's more healthy than a tomato?... Answer: A tomato cooked with extra virgin olive oil.
Research has proven that consuming tomatoes cooked with EVOO raises the antioxidant activity significantly. Whilst cooking veggies normally results in nutrient loss, in this case it is actually easier to absorb the lycopene when the tomato is heated up. So in order to receive the maximum amount of lycopene from tomatoes, you need to pair them with extra virgin olive oil.
These roasted tomatoes with garlic and thyme are super tender and bursting with intense, concentrated flavour. Make them ahead of time and use as needed as a delicious vegetarian side, tossed with pasta, or served as bruschetta.
What you need
Cherry or Roma tomatoes
Taralinga Estate Robusto extra virgin olive oil
What you do
- Pre-heat your oven to 230°C.
- Cut your tomatoes in halves - or you may wish to roast them whole if using Cherry tomatoes.
- In a large bowl, toss the tomatoes with a good drizzle of Taralinga Estate extra virgin olive oil, salt and black pepper, a couple of minced garlic cloves and fresh thyme.
- Spread the tomatoes flesh side facing in a single layer directly onto an oven tray. NB: don't line the pan with baking paper because the tomatoes need to have direct contact with the hot tray.
- Roast for 30 minutes or until the tomatoes are tender and done to your liking.